Thursday 20 December 2012

THE DRUM

Brown skin, taut hair
It stands erect in its glory
Strong and firm
Glistening, it beckons
Its beauty invigorating
Its touch intoxicating
In my bare hands it nestled
I took it close to my heart
It feels so good, so alive
It tells of tales of pleasures
A dance in the jungle, a night filled with stars
Promise of unending tomorrows
This is no place for sorrows
I traced its contours
My fingers followed its smooth lead
Tapping gently on its creamy head
With a masterstroke I beat on it
From its depth came the sound of time
As I pound on it harder
The echoes reach farther
I was soon lost in the throes of sounds
With every rhythm my heart beat faster
Racing through jungles, oceans and rivers
Sweating, I burst out in a starry glaze
For the drumbeat
Echoes two heartbeats
Ever since my lover went away
And left behind the majestic drum.
 By ©Yemisi Ilesanmi, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment