Friday 2 December 2011

I AM REACHING, REACHING FOR THE STARS

I am reaching, reaching for the stars
Though I bear the brunt of the scars
I spread my wings for a flying spree
This cage I will break to set me free
Although the sky looks scary and vast
I will explore with bravery and a blast
So long my wings were clipped
Now I will fly even if I slipped
Bowed down by years of misery
Now tis time to show my mystery

I am reaching, reaching for the stars
With eyes bleary and teary with cries
For so long I have been sad
These burdens I had so bad
The yoke I have carried
Many years I have tarried
Slave to your strangling bleeps
Too afraid to take that leap
Now it is my oyster card
To provide me a landing pad

I am reaching, reaching for the stars
Cos I am ready, ready for the skies
For so long lies I have been told
So many cultural myths I was sold
Motherhood will make you great
Submit as a wife even if it grates
Ambition will only make you vain
Be a woman and a worthy saint
Even if it takes mutiny
I will make my destiny

Resources might be scarce
I will no longer live a farce
Sitting on the sidelines
Never to make a landmine
In your space I am constrained
In my space I will not be restrained
Nothing can stop this flight
Not even all my plight
Even though you now sneer
Get set to watch and cheer

For so long I was a victim of your blunders
Now it is time to watch me in wonder
Like an exploding star I shall shine
Whirlwind mixed like sweet brine
This hurricane you have to bear
My Tsunami is poised to roar
Even though ill of me you now speak
Won’t stop me from reaching my peak
Just be still and watch me fly
You will no longer be so sly

Man or woman we can all roar
The sky is big for all to soar
I can no longer be caged
I will be my own sage
There is flight in my wing
Beautiful music as I sing
With this song I take flight and glow
Never to be slowed down by the flow
Watch me spread my wings and marvel
My mystery I am about to unravel!

 By © YEMISI ILESANMI, 19 May, 2011




No comments:

Post a Comment